Wednesday, October 25, 2006

What Do You Need to Get Married in Vermont?

Here is a link to a great PDF that details the rules and laws for getting married in Vermont: Health Vermont.

Here is some information on having a Civil Union from the Vermont Secretary of State's website:
In order to be joined in civil union the couple must complete the following 3 steps:

· Obtain civil union license from town clerk. Vermont residents must get a civil union license from the town clerk of the town where either party resides. Nonresidents may go to any town clerk in the state to obtain a civil union license. It is not necessary for both parties to be present to obtain the license as only one signature is required on the application form. A $23.00 fee must be paid to the town clerk.

· Solemnize the civil union. After obtaining the license, the couple must have the civil union solemnized by an official authorized to certify a civil union. A Vermont judge, Vermont justice of the peace or member of the Vermont clergy, or a clergy person from another state who has been granted permission by a Vermont probate judge may certify a civil union. The civil union may be solemnized anywhere in the state but must occur within sixty days of the issuance of the license by the town clerk. If the certification is delayed for more than sixty days a new license must be obtained.

· Return the certified license to the town clerk. The official who has solemnized the union must fill out and sign a portion of the civil union license. Within ten days of the certification, the official who certifies the union must return it to the town clerk who issued it. If the official delays returning the certification beyond the tenth day, the official may be penalized, but the civil union will still be valid. 18 V.S.A. § 5131.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obvious spam, mean comments or links that are really advertising will be deleted. Play nice :)